Workshop Title: Sharing the Potential of Assessment: An Introduction to Democratic Assessment
Date: 18th February 2017 (9:30 to 4:30 – Lunch and refreshments included)
Venue: University of Limerick
Presenters: Dr Donal Canty, Prof Richard Kimbell, Dr Niall Seery
The DALTA project at UL strives to utilise technological developments to enhance teaching, learning and assessment in a way that will support effective pedagogy and authentic student centred learning. Technology enhanced and mediated learning has shown much promise and there are numerous examples of technologies that have enhanced teaching, learning and assessment in our schools and beyond. However, work is required to synthesise these offerings so as to support, acknowledge, and reward individual differences, interpretations and conceptions, to further improve schooling as a whole. With the increasing use of portfolios and e-portfolios in education to capture pupil learning, their use and purpose has become the centre of much scrutiny and acclaim. Validly assessing the skills and performance of pupils captured through portfolio based mediums is a central focus of this research project.
The DALTA project intends to assist and disseminate research in the area of assessment to 2nd level teachers in Ireland. The first workshop will take place on the 2nd of June 2016 at the University of Limerick.
The objectives of the workshop are:
- Disseminate current assessment innovation and research activities in technology education through the provision of an update on DALTA activities
- Further explore the challenges of assessment and classroom practice in relation to pedagogy and capability
- Assess responses to the ‘DALTA Design Challenge’ using Adaptive Comparative Judgements
- Discuss the potential of ACJ in supporting learning using the experience of the ‘DALTA Design Challenge’ as a catalyst
- Gather feedback from practicing teachers on further enhancing and employing DALTA related educational activities
Professor Richard Kimbell discussing holistic judgements as a method of assessment at the 3rd DALTA workshop at the University of Limerick
Dr Donal Canty leading an ACJ judging session on the ‘DALTA Design Challenge’ at the 3rd DALTA workshop at the University of Limerick